Thursday, March 16, 2006

Women of Sand and Myrrh…

A book by Hanan al-Shaykh that traveled with me to Beirut but I never got to finish. My sister always takes custody of the books I carry. Reminded me of the days gone astray in this land we migrated to. I thought of the short stories these women had to tell when I talked to my friend Tina. She is my Hanan this Tina. She is a Hala and Suha and Amar. I like to scrutinize into people’s little practices, little habits that anchor their void existence into an impending scenario we call life. I tried to resist it but eventually gave up to it. With time, I even began to cherish it. I began to look closer and my routines grew more stubborn and more tenacious.

Having a mother like my own, you acquire a respect for womanhood. A privilege and an honor only descended upon me when I begin neighboring a subset of her traits. Her warmth, her understanding, her colors, her smell, her presence. The little things she does, the little phrases she uses. One word that builds you up and takes you home. The lack of which throws you into abysmal despair and loneliness and fear. I found my mother in my solitude. I make a pot of fresh coffee every day. One spoon, two spoons, three spoons, haven't gotten it right yet. It does not taste right. Keep on trying, I’ll get there. It brings me closer to her.

I go to Tina, with a fresh pot of coffee and a fresh garland of stories. We sit facing the window, as we always need a window, and we talk. Women of sand and myrrh, of dreams of better days, of aching to our mother’s embrace. We act like little women, we have to. Beneath the surface, we know what hides. I see her escaping glance into that window after she arranges the cups on the tray. She made some sweets today. The kind her mother makes. She did not get it right though.She will keep on trying till she gets it right.She has to keep on trying.
One spoon, two spoons…

7 comments:

Laila K said...

with every passing day i feel that i'm more similar to my mother than i ever thought possible.

Ghassan said...

I liked this book. But it surprises me that hanan el sheik talks to you girls in particular. Her brand of feminism is slightly old fashion compared to today's woman. don't you agree?

Unknown said...

laila, i do feel i'm growing into her direction. sometimes it's good, other traits i did not want to develop but couldn't help it. all in all, you feel that it's your genes and heritage and there's no way denying it or need.

gus, you're right she does. in that sens she was not a progressive arabic female. keep in mind she's is not revolutionizing any new concepts. the setting was in saudi arabia. but meanwhile she paints a nice image of the traditions and values that we remember in a way and that bring us back

Ghassan said...

She is one of the most progressive arabic women. All I'm saying is that she speaks from a different generation. feminism and womanhood are supposed to be of different values to your generation, versus your mothers', otherwise your mothers' generation of progressive individuals didn't make progress.

Unknown said...

the point as we have discussed is not in life styles and is not in adopting all of our mother's values. you know who we are and where we came from better than that. you know that we aspire for something more than what our mothers did. but i am talking about being inhabited with little feelings that emanate from memories of traditions, which eventhough i left behind, i still carry in my heart

nour said...

a Mother is the closet to The Lord someone can ever be...

i see the mother loving and wise.

Unknown said...

so true. she's my identity and my roots.