Friday, March 17, 2006

Roxanne in blue stockings?

I woke up in a pond of fear after a nightmare that took its toll on my nerves. Do you still have nightmares? A little peculiar at my age. What are these subconscious fears that possess me at night. Places and faces and an immense feeling of insecurity that resonates in my heart. The following events in the day were as strange. I see Shaun White with short hair. My neighbor who looks just like him. Fears and threats that accompany my every move. I wrap the day early. My next order of business is my most anticipated event.

I had fallen in love with their story a long time ago. I had a date with Cyrano and Roxanne and a woman I called grandma for the night. She had a load of shopping bags with her which normally I would find insolent, but not tonight. Tonight she is sweet. She had sawn a pink silk dress just like Roxanne’s for her little porcelain doll. How lovely. She thinks Roxanne is a blue stocking aristocrat who deserves to be serenaded. I personally think that she is a heartless white gloved girl who needs to wake up and smell the blood, but who cares. Domingo’s voice made her cry. He speaks to the soul this man, this giant. I found myself crying too. The nocturnal setting was both dreamy and melancholic in the most intimate way. The most heartbreaking character talked in the most intoxicating voice. I look at her, she looks back and nods. We understood eachother. We were both flying. She saw it in my hopeful looks and i could read the stories behind her tired face.

The final scene. The autumn leafs and Cyrano is dead. I walk out.. she is still sitting.. she is still with him.. I wave goodbye.. she does not wave back.. She is probably still flying..

9 comments:

Laila K said...

man..(girl).. dreams are the most amazing stories! i wonder sometimes which part of the brain is responsible for all that creativity and why doesn't it function as well in real life? (except when ur high). my ex has the most amazing dreams. once i gave him a dream journal to write them down. i tell you-you can literally make horror movies and magical short stories out of them, they're great!

Unknown said...

i'm pretty sure i used to know the answer scientifically (some sbs course) but not anymore. all i know is thank god it's mostly repressed in real life, otherwise i'll be in trouble. pot is not hallucinogenic though, not the same. he really did write his dreams down? tell us some stories.

Unknown said...

but this is not the nightmare. this is what actually happened yesterday. the nightmare i can't tell

Fouad said...

You know mirvat, I missed the one time I could have seen Domingo in concert, and I still regret it. I hope I'll have the opportunity to do so in the future. I've never heard Alfano's music, Cyrano or otherwise. It seems quite good from what I understood in your post :)

Unknown said...

you have to listen to him live when you get the chance. he has an almost intimidating presence. Alfano, he is under-rated i guess. grandma said that he's Puccini's underdog. she was very sympathetic (who knows maybe she knew him personally, she did look ancient :)). if i am to compare to verdi's operas, i would say this one has a heart.

Ghassan said...

How much far above Verdi are we, when we enjoy Alfano. Now, that's big 'Broadway' production, sentimental and sugary, speaks to your heart and takes your breath away, with Domingo singing no less.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Drip
drip
drip...
my venom :)

Unknown said...

Verdi's impeccable 4 acts are far above me and you to criticize, cher ami. would you say La Traviata is not sentimental? And BROADWAY? he's turning in his grave!! i won't even answer that and won't discuss it with you when you haven't even heard it, according to you!! and there's nothing sugary about domingo's singing..