Sunday, February 10, 2008

As for the present …

Those little things that lighten up your day. Those little things that keep you breathing, day after day. Your right to a hot cup of coffee in the morning. Your right to dance behind closed doors. Your right to enjoy the most eclectic playlist on your ipod. Your right to wear a scarf on a sunny day, to cross the street with arms behind your back, to step out in the middle of the day to feel the sun on your skin. Your right to be. The things we enjoy in the present. When we can’t see ahead. My right to call you by a different name, every time I see you, my right not to see you, my right to love you or hate you, my right to laugh in the face of discomfort, to walk barefoot in my yard, to get a dog. My right for a bubble bath on a Wednesday, for a cigarette before bed, for lipstick on your cup. Those little things I do everywhere. Things that resist our tolerance, that no matter how long we expose ourselves to, we still enjoy, we still feel and react to every time. Making a new friend, talking to complete strangers on a night out, remembering a dream, finding something you thought you lost, finding something from the past. Looking at pictures, taking pictures, spreading color pencils all over the floor and coloring with the kids, planning the next vacation, going on the next vacation, writing a new post, writing a poem, watching people through their windows and imagining how their life could be, movies night. To hear yourself reciting those couple of sentences you learned in a new language, to hear him say your name for the first time, to hear birds sing and know winter will come to an end, summers. Swimming in May, arranging the inside of my purse, singing my heart out in the shower, a kiss in the corner of my mouth, getting an unexpected letter after years of being away from him, wearing colors, getting a massage, better yet giving a massage, cooking with no recipe, living with no recipe …

The little things i enjoy…

2 comments:

Laila K said...

love this post baby

Unknown said...

i'm trying to be positive :)